The primary purpose of this role is to serve as the subject matter expert in the implementation of the organization’s global employee relations program in a manner that ensures the fair, equitable, and consistent treatment of employees across the organization. This includes, but is not limited to, collaborating with the Employee and Labor Relations (ELR) team to establish strategy and guidelines to help support the HR Business Partners (HRBPs) and business leaders in all areas of employee relations. This role must apply knowledge of employment and labor laws, government regulations, and agency rules to inform decision-making, ensure compliance, and minimize risk and liability.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Focuses primarily on conducting and/or managing the effective and timely investigation and resolution of complex, highly sensitive employee relations matters, including fact-finding, witness interviews, document and evidentiary review, data and root-cause analyses, reviewing and/or writing investigation reports
- Utilizes best practices and subject matter expertise in collaborating with HRBPs and other key stakeholders to identify and ensure the implementation of timely and appropriate solutions based on well-supported findings and conclusions
- Ensures the accurate and timely documentation, reporting and review of employee relations matters within HR Acuity case management system for all assigned cases and those reported within assigned locations,
- Utilizes data and evidence-based approach when advising and consulting business partners to ensure outcomes facilitate compliance, align with LYB’s values and business objectives, and represent fairness, equity ad consistency.
- Reviews assigned employee relations matters and applies learning and root-cause analyses to identify and recommend effective, sustainable and appropriate business solutions to ER problems.
- Provide consultation to HRBP clients with their investigations and report writing.
- Collaborates with business leaders, legal, compliance and the ELR/HR team, to design and implement positive employee relations strategic initiatives that support the organizational culture, and align with its mission, vision and values.
- Analyzes data identified through external resources (i.e., benchmarking, current employee relations best practices), and internal sources (i.e., HR Acuity, Ethics Point, HRMS, Employee Engagement Surveys, etc.) in order to identify trends and recommend new or enhanced process improvements to the ELR program or operations.
- Collaborates in the development and delivery of training initiatives to improve business leaders’ capabilities related to positive employee relations and labor relations, effective employee performance management, conflict management, and employment and labor relations best practices.
- Serves as a credible, trusted partner to influence leaders by demonstrating best practice technical, functional, and business expertise in employee relations matters.
- In collaboration with business and HR leaders, recommends and assists with writing, revising, communicating and interpreting HR policies and procedures.
- Ensures the mitigation of risk through the consistent and equitable application of policies and procedures consistent with the terms of federal and state laws.
- As a stretch assignment, may participate in labor relations matters, providing advice and counsel to managers and team leads, including advising on employee coaching, performance improvement plans, grievance and dispute resolution, labor relations best practices, contract negotiations, corrective actions, and terminations to mitigate risk and minimize third party intervention.
- Takes on other stretch assignments and more challenging projects that impact the entire enterprise as it relates to employee and labor relations matters.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Labor Relations, Industrial Relations, Business Administration, or related field
- 10 years’ HR generalist experience, including at least 3+ years’ experience in an employee relations or related position
- Prior experience supporting diverse client groups within complex organization and successfully interacting with business partners to influence, coach, and problem-solve
- Experience developing and maintaining collaborative working relationships throughout all levels within a matrixed or complex organization
- Strong preference for experience in oil & gas, petrochemical, or manufacturing companies
- Extensive knowledge of state, federal and local employment and labor laws, and agency rules and procedures
- Advanced knowledge of workplace compliance investigations best practices, labor relations, union avoidance, employee advocacy, EEO compliance, and Affirmative Action planning and reporting
- Direct experience gathering, researching, analyzing and resolving complex employee and employee relations issues within a large multi-state organization
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Human Resources, or Labor Relations
- SHRM or HRCI certification
- Specialized training or certification in employee or labor relations or investigative best practices
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world’s largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2022, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine’s list of the “World’s Most Admired Companies” for the fifth consecutive year.
We have the potential — and responsibility — to use this scale and reach to make a positive impact across our value chains. That’s why we are working to make meaningful progress to address some of the world’s most pressing challenges such as reducing plastic waste in the environment, helping to mitigate climate change and contributing to a thriving society for our employees, the communities where we operate and the people who depend on our products. To learn more, click here.
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
To apply for this job please visit careers.lyondellbasell.com.